Fresh, organic, local
Rainbow Blossom maintains close relationships with local and regional farmers to provide the best-tasting, freshest produce possible. More than 99 percent of produce sold by Rainbow Blossom is grown with organic growing methods without the use of artificial pesticides or fertilizers. When organic varieties are not available or out of season, we offer high-quality non-organic produce. Organic is always our first choice. See when local, organic produce is in season.
Meat and Poultry
- All animals are raised on vegetarian diets.
- No use of antibiotics or growth-promoting hormones.
- No feed containing animal by-products.
- No artificial food colorings or preservatives.
- No meat or dairy from cloned animals or their offspring.
Pastured, free-range, humanely raised
Rainbow Blossom offers only natural or organic meats sourced directly from ranchers who are committed to humane standards. All meat sold at Rainbow Blossom is from pastured or free-range animals. All meats must meet the following criteria to be sold by Rainbow Blossom:
Rainbow Blossom monitors the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Program, which rates seafood choices according to environmental criteria, including the method used to catch the fish, and whether the species is abundant or endangered or threatened by over fishing.
Delicious seafood, healthy oceans
Most of the seafood sold by Rainbow Blossom is rated "Green, a Best Choice" according to the Seafood Watch program. A limited amount of PCC's seafood is rated "Yellow, a Good Alternative." Rainbow Blossom does not carry seafood rated as "Red, Avoid."
Grocery Aisles, Dairy, and Bulk
All natural, delicious choices
Rainbow Blossom grocery buyers give preference to organic, local grocery items packaged in an environmentally responsible way, and to products with labels that state they are not genetically modified and not irradiated. Rainbow Blossom grocery products contain no hydrogenated oils or added trans-fat.
Dairy — As a natural-foods retailer, all of Rainbow Blossom’s fresh milk is produced without the use of the genetically engineered growth hormone, rBGH, used to increase milk production. All yogurt, kefir, butter, cheese and other dairy products sold at Rainbow Blossom are free of rBGH as well.
Eggs — Rainbow Blossom sells only eggs from hens that are raised cage-free on local, family-owned farms. The use of antibiotics is prohibited and the hens are fed only 100 percent vegetarian feed. Certified-organic eggs come from hens raised on certified-organic feed. When local eggs are not available, we supplement with high quality free range eggs.
Rainbow Blossom’s product standards also do not allow artificial preservatives, colorings, or flavorings.
Coffee and teas
Fairly Traded, shade-grown, organic and locally roasted options
Rainbow Blossom’s bagged or bulk coffee — is certified organic, shade-grown, fairly traded, and locally roasted.
Health and Body Care
Naturally safe and soothing
Rainbow Blossom believes that what we put on our bodies is as important as what we eat. We take preference to vendors of all our skin, facial and body-care products that comply with the the standards of the Natural Products Association, a set of guidelines that determine whether a product truly can be called "natural."
Many brands at Rainbow Blossom already comply with these stringent standards and Rainbow Blossom is working with others that are striving to become compliant by reformulating. We have discontinued brands and products that are choosing not to comply.
The Natural Products Association standards include:
- A definition for "natural" — Ingredients that come or are made from a renewable resource found in natural (flora, fauna, mineral), with absolutely no petroleum compounds.
- All products labeled or branded "natural" are made with at least 95 percent all-natural ingredients.
- A list of prohibited ingredients, which includes parabens (synthetic preservatives that are potential endocrine disruptors), petrolatum/mineral oil/paraffin (non-renewable byproducts of crude oil with potentially dangerous impurities), and sodium lauryl sulfate (a harsh cleansing agent that's potentially damaging and irritating to the skin).
Rainbow Blossom offers a wide variety of nutritional supplements. Each product is evaluated individually and must comply with specific requirements.
- No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners.
- Reliable research that supports claims concerning the product's purity and effectiveness.
- Adequately labeled, listing ingredients and recommended use as required by law.